There are so many things to love about summer. BBQs with friends, days at the beach and balmy evenings to name a few. But what about all those hot days indoors? A hot stuffy room is no fun for anyone, especially if you’re trying to get work done. Luckily, using the best portable air conditioner in the UK is a great way to make your life more comfortable.
Portable air conditioners offer a simple and convenient alternative to traditional installed ones. They can be simply wheeled into the room and plugged into the mains near a window – immediately working to bring you welcome relief from the heat.
Cool your home or office with the best air conditioners to buy. With the best portable air conditioner, you can start to enjoy summer again!
Top 10 Best Portable Air Conditioners In The UK 2021
In this guide we’ll take a look at the best portable air conditioner list for the UK market to give you my top recommendations.
1. Pifco P41008 (Best for Home & Office)
If you’re after the best air cooler in the UK, you’re probably looking for one which is multifunctional. The Manchester-based air conditioning manufacturer, Pifco, has created this portable AC unit that can be used three ways: as a fan, a dehumidifier or as an air conditioner. Although you will probably only use the air conditioning and fan functions during the warmer months of the year, the dehumidifier function can be useful all year round.
This portable aircon unit provides cooling capacity which is sufficient enough to cool down a small sized room. Thanks to its castors, it is easy to push from one room to another, although we don’t recommend moving it up and down stairs due to its 23kg weight.
There is also a handy 24-hour timer, which can help you to save on energy costs.
2. Prem-I-Air 8000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Prem-I-Air 8000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
This 3-in-1 air conditioner, dehumidifier and fan can be voice controlled by Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant and has a 24 hour programmable timer, making it an easy-to-use piece of tech that will both keep you cool and fit seamlessly into your home.
It can quickly and effectively cool rooms between 10-15 square metres, as well as a dehumidifying capacity of 21.8 litres per day.
The Prem-I-Air 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner offers tailor made indoor climate control. This 3 in 1 unit boasts air conditioning, dehumidifier and fan options. This model can be controlled using the Wifi Control Option, it also features a remote control and programmable 24 hour timer. The Wifi Function is simple to operate using the connection to your Home/Office Wifi Network, simply download the app to your smart device and it’s ready to use.
3. Pro Breeze 4-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner 7000 BTU
By Pro Breeze, this 4-in-1 portable air-con unit packs 7000 BTU of cooling power, making it suitable for single rooms or small apartments/flats.
The 4-in-1 features include cooling, dehumidifying, automatic mode and fan-only settings. The fans can be set to disperse cool air over a wide or narrower area.
There’s no heat mode, so this air-con unit is only suitable for cooling down interior spaces during hot weather. It comes with a window duct unit for easy installation.
An Energy Class A unit that uses the new-generation R290 refrigerant, this air-con unit is eco-friendly and energy-efficient, keeping energy bills down. It can cool rooms down to as low as 15C, which is ideal on exceptionally hot summer days.
The Pro Breeze 4-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner 7000 BTU is a brilliant all-rounder with plenty of features.
4. Inventor Chilly 9000BTU Portable Air Conditioner
The Inventor Chilly Portable Air Conditioner is a 9000 BTU machine that offers excellent instant cooling turning the temperatures chilly in a short span. It weighs 25 kg and is known to be a lightweight, easy-to-wheel model. The refrigerant used in this machine is the R290 that is several times more eco-friendly than other refrigerant gases. The omnidirectional castors help in smooth movement around the room.
The Inventor Chilly Portable Air Conditioner is capable of removing almost 1 litre of moisture per day thanks to its dehumidifier properties. This model is also one of the quieter ones on this list with 51 to 53 decibels.
5. Homegear Portable Air Conditioner (9000BTU)
The thing that really made this portable air conditioning unit stand out for us is the fact that it has such a good filtration system.
Additionally, it can also be used as a dehumidifier, keeping those hot and muggy days more bearable for you.
It has a remote control so that you can use it from the comfort of your bed, as well as two fan speeds to allow you to get the temperature just right. The design might be a little clunky, but running is quiet, and you can direct the airflow with ease.
Even if your bedroom is located in the loft, you will find this is one of the best portable air conditioners for bedrooms.
6. Dorman & Walsh 3 in 1 Air Con Unit – Room Cooling Fan, Portable Air Conditioner Unit
Portable, light and easy to move – 360 degree turning castor wheels makes this air cooler easy to move around the home, bedroom, living room, loft room, log cabin, gym or office. make your space chilly again with our air conditioner.
Easy to use & clean – the simple remote control & top-mounted led display with 24-hour timer allows you to precisely control the air con unit air temperature.
Keep cool with dorman & walsh: 9,000 btu fast cooling capacity and upgraded compressor, cooling area is approximately 3m x 5m (depth x width), will keep you cool and comfortable all summer. Sleep mode makes it the unit gradually reduce its output as the temperature reduces in the night. Simple use – quick assembly air conditioner unit.
7. MeacoCool MC Series Portable Air Conditioners
Meaco of the UK produces a wide range of air cooling, purification and dehumidifying products. This new 7000BTU model is suitable for rooms between 12 and 22m² and features two fan speeds and a low temperature setting of 16ºC, which is the norm for the majority of portable air con units and indeed most cars. It also comes with a remote control.
To use, simply select a preferred temperature (from 16ºC upwards), select either low or high mode, and before long the room’s temperature and humidity will drop to much more comfortable levels. When the room eventually reaches the preset temperature, the machine will switch off and then switch on again as soon as the internal temperature rises.
This reviewer tested it with the rear exhaust port positioned in front of a fireplace flue and it worked impeccably well. Sitting two metres away, it was like being in a car with the air-con on full bore.
8. BLACK+DECKER BXAC40008GB 12,000 BTU Portable 3-in-1 Air Conditioner
If you are looking for an air conditioner that is affordable and easy to install Decker’s portable 3-in-2 air conditioner is you choice.
This portable air conditioner will not only help you get through the sizzling summer days by providing the cool breeze but can also help you out in the dry winter with its dehumidifying feature.
This air conditioner has soft touch control with LED display, but if you prefer to use a remote controlled air conditioner instead it comes with that too.
It will satisfy you with 3 remarkable features: Energy efficient; Suitable for large rooms up to 30m²; It has air filtration system for quality air.
9. Portable Air Conditioner Dual Hose
Dual-hose units, on the contrary, are more sophisticated. They are designed with two hoses, one of which collects air to cool the machine down and the other one releases the heated air. This type of air conditioner is more efficient as it does not need to work as hard as single-hose air conditioners. The dual-hose option is more appropriate for large spaces and operates faster.
This Portable Dual-Hose Air Conditioner comes with a control panel, adjustable power, and 3 modes: normal, natural, and night. You can adjust the unit’s power depending on the size of the room and climate in your area.
10. AEG ChillFlex Pro Portable Air Conditioner
If you want a summer cooling solution that is cheaper to buy and operate than a central AC but better than a fan, the AEG AXP26U338CW ChillFlex Pro is a great choice.
The AEG AXP26U338CW ChillFlex Pro is one of the best optionsfor a compact portable air conditioner for a small or mid-size room.
It is a compact portable air conditioner, manufactured by a respectable German brand, that comes with three integrated functions. It also has caster wheels to make it easier to move it from room to room
It can cool a room down to 16 degrees Celsius, it can dehumidify your humid and mould-friendly indoor air and it can also operate as a fan.
The ChillFlex Pro comes with three fan speed settings, an on/off timer and an auto mode that maintains the room at a constant temperature.
How to Choose a Portable Air Conditioner
Before you buy a portable air conditioner, there are a few features that you should take into consideration.
- Noise Level: Generally speaking, you’re going to want a model that runs relatively quietly, which is superb for bedrooms, living rooms, and home offices.
- Hose Length: The length of the exhaust hose is an important factor because it helps you to determine where you will place your portable air conditioner. A short hose means it will need to be close to the window, whereas a long one will give you more freedom for placement.
- Room Size: You have to ensure that the air conditioning units you choose are suitable for the room you want to use them in. If you purchase a model that’s able to cool a small room and place it in a large one, you’re going to be left very toasty this summer.
- Size and Weight: Consider the size of the model before you buy. Is it going to take up too much room? Additionally, pay attention to the weight and how portable it is. If it is quite heavy but has wheels, it will be a lot easier to move.
- Features: Think about the additional features you want your model to have. Most portable air conditioners come with dehumidification, fan speeds, and sleep mode or a timer. However, there are also some that come with heating capabilities.
- Warranty: Most companies offer a year-long warranty for their portable air conditioners. This will tend to include parts and labour if there is a malfunction or it breaks down. Some companies may also provide an extended warranty when you register online, so make sure you check.
- Energy Efficiency: Portable air conditioners are designed to work all year round; as such, it pays to buy a unit that is energy efficient. Energy efficiency ratings (EERs) are the numbers that measure the exact amount of energy a unit requires to deliver a certain amount of cooling. The higher the EER, the less energy a unit requires. Of course, this will translate to a higher cost margin when purchasing, but it will save you a lot of money in electric bills in the long run. Always weigh out the higher cost of energy efficient air conditioners against the potential mountain of savings you will make to find out if the unit is ideal for you.
- Ventilation And Exhaust: As part of the cooling process, portable air conditioners vent hot air while others require hoses to get rid of excess vapour in the air. Typically, most units vent hot air through an exhaust hose that can then be vented out of a window, sliding door, ceiling or even through the wall. You can, however, find also portable air conditioners without hose, e.g. evaporative coolers. Similarly, portable air conditioners with a dehumidification function will require a hose to dump the water; either through a drainage, window or a hole in the wall.
As the hot scorching days of summer are coming up soon and in such days of perspiration and sweat where we all want to avoid the rage of unbearably blazing sun, there would be no escaping from the need of an air conditioner. But alas in today’s modern living space it’s often difficult to install a traditional window air conditioner and the expense of installing a central air conditioner is immense.
A portable air conditioner is the best route if you can’t install a window air conditioner in your space because of design limitations or building restrictions. It’s also a better pick if you’d like a mobile air conditioning unit that can be moved from room to room or stored away at the end of the season. They are efficient at cooling and cutting down on high humidity and easy to use and install.
Mobile air conditioners aren’t cheap. One of the best models will set you back a few hundred pounds – but that’s surely a price worth paying for your comfort.